Re: [MacPerl] Executing MacPerl script on a PeeCee

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Chris Nandor wrote:

> The skinny is that perl 5.005 (though it was buggy, and is now working
> properly in 5.003, apparently) will parse perl programs and modules that
> use \012 or \015\012 (or "\xA or \xD\xA" for Arved ;) as their newlines.
> It still will not parse files with the Mac newline, \015.  While I am not a
> decent C programmer, it has been on my list to look into fixing this in
> toke.c (but if someone else wants to do it, go right ahead).
>
> The docs in perl5.005 say that any if \012, \015, or \015\012 will work.
> This isn't true, and was never true, and wasn't supposed to be true.  It
> was only planned by the implementers to be for \012 and \015\012.  But they
> are certainly open to patches to make it work with \015.

Interesting. I hadn't picked up on this yet, although I was browsing
through some other files in the 5.005_3 distribution, and saw that the
ActiveState folks had some extensive input in other areas, too.

I guess it's a subject for some discussion as to how useful a Mac linefeed
patch would be. The AS-oriented patches are designed to ease the task of
building Perl out of the box, so also having built-in support for \015\012
is a good thing. But Matthias already has to hack enough stuff that we
don't have an "out-of-box' solution to start with.

I guess what I'm saying is that the patch could be provided, but in the
context of the standard distribution it's irrelevant.

Arved