Re: [MacPerl] Executing MacPerl script on a PeeCee

At 08.43 -0400 1999.04.13, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>I guess it's a subject for some discussion as to how useful a Mac linefeed
>patch would be. The AS-oriented patches are designed to ease the task of
>building Perl out of the box, so also having built-in support for \015\012
>is a good thing. But Matthias already has to hack enough stuff that we
>don't have an "out-of-box' solution to start with.
>
>I guess what I'm saying is that the patch could be provided, but in the
>context of the standard distribution it's irrelevant.

I don't think so.  Making perl agnostic to newlines in files it executes is
a good goal, IMO.  These are not AS-oriented patches that makes \015\012
parsable on Unix and \012 parsable on Windows.  It is for everyone who uses
different file types on different platforms.  It sure would have saved Doug
a lot of hassle if \015 were parsable.

It's already been decided by p5p and the pumpkings that this is a good and
desirable thing.  I guess I just don't see how it is irrelevant.  Doug's
experience alone has shown us that it isn't.  I am sure there are many
other similar cases and experiences.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])