[MacPerl] while (1) { $i++, $a{ $i } = $i } crashes Blue G3

The following construct crashes my Mac and damages the Volume Bitmap.

while (1) { $i++, $a{ $i } = $i };

I thought it would cause MacPerl throwing the "Out of memory" message,
instead it freezes the thing. Cmd-Option-Esc no help, either.

Is this a problem with MacPerl or with my Mac's (G3/300/64) memory
handling ?

Reports from users of other systems only tell of extensive swapping but
no crash.

Greetings,

/(?=Joergen)/