Re: [MacPerl] AEs in realbasic

On 5/2/99 at 12:02 AM, rosattin@ajc.com wrote:

> Have you looked at FaceSpan from Digital Technology
> (www.facespan.com)? It's a GUI development tool in which objects are
> backed up by applescript routines.

Yes.  FaceSpan yields slower final products, isn't threaded, doesn't have a
debugger, doesn't use an object-oriented language, can't talk to ODBC
datasources, can't cross-compile with Windows, and doesn't have a cool cool
cool sprite engine.  To the best of my knowledge, FaceSpan also isn't
appearance-savvy, and doesn't support double-byte script systems.  RealBasic
does all of the above; its O'Reilly book is in editing.  RB costs about as
much as FaceSpan, a little more for the full price, a little less at the
education rate.

I'd honestly be willing to overlook pretty much all of the above, except I
can't stand applescript's syntax, and the idea of writing even a moderately
complicated application with it makes me break out in a cold sweat.  I'm not a
huge fan of RealBasic syntax either, but it's substantially clearer and more
consistent than AS, and there's a lot more documentation available than
there's ever been in the applescript world.

Clearly, if you're already comfortable and skilled with applescript, facespan
makes a good proposition, but RB brings a lot more to the table.

  -nat