Re: [MacPerl] Database Connectivity

Paul Miller said:

>The main advantage of ODBC is the ability to connect to different kinds of
>databases. This is also an advantage of DBI, so ODBC is redundant
>(assuming you can find, buy, or build a DBD for the database you want).

Have you had good luck finding, buying or building DBD's for the Mac? I have not seen much premade, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. I have wanted to try my hand at building a couple of DBDs on the Mac as soon as I get a few spare moments. Even doing that, however, I have given up hope for most DBMS packages, because AFAIK part of the DBD for most of them is a proprietary library supplied as a binary.

My impression of ODBC has been the same as yours, but I had considered it because it seems to get around these problems.

-David-

p.s. It is my impression that mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch is an obsolete address; that one should switch to macperl@macperl.org.

David Steffen, Ph.D.
President, Biomedical Computing, Inc. <http://www.biomedcomp.com/>