Re: [MacPerl] POD

Arved Sandstrom writes 4 May 1999:

>On Mon, 3 May 1999, Chris Nandor wrote:
>> At 20.10 -0400 1999.05.03, Doug McNutt wrote:
>> >Printing is another question.
>> >Nisus or MSWord will open the files. Perhaps someone has a perl script to
>> >remove the stuff that Shuck doesn't display. Simply removing the returns
>> >will permit Mac word processors to wrap text the way you want it.
>>
>> The pod2text program that comes with perl will convert the POD to plain
>> text.  I use it as a filter in BBEdit.
>>
>And to round out all the possibilities, when I want really pretty perl
>docs, I just convert the POD to LaTeX, and then either do CMacTeX pdfTeX
>or CMacTeX LaTeX->dvips->Distiller. :-) And throw in bookmarks and TOC
>links with either.

As another alternative, 'pod2ps' will also give a good quality print output
with justified text, full PDF support and it will also handle batches of
'pod' files.

There is one other matter it might be helpful to mention here. Some MacPerl
module 'pod' texts are split between the module and the corresponding '.xs'
file. The part of the pod in the '.xs' is linked in by a directive
'=include X' in the '.pm' file.

Shuck understands that directive and includes the '.xs pod' text, but other
translators don't and silently ignore both the directive and the text. (The
'=include' directive is not mentioned in 'perlpod.pod' so it should
probably be viewed as an 'unofficial' MacPerl/Shuck command.)

So, caveat translator, MacPerl modules read by pod2html, pod2latex etc. and
(come to that) pod2ps, may yield incomplete texts.

Alan Fry