Re: [MacPerl] Is MacPerl -too- Efficient?!?

> Howdy. Is MacPerl perhaps -too- efficient? A few hours ago, I had
> to change two lines in each of over a thousand text files scattered
> across 5 Jaz disks (which are sources for a set of data product CDs
> that I'm working on). After writing a recursive perl droplet to
> handle the job -- taking a whole hour and a half to do so -- I set
> about to what I figured would be the long task of watching MacPerl
> chug through the--
>
> --and then it was done! In the blink of an eye. About 1500 files on
> those 5 Jaz disks. Honestly, the biggest chunk of time taken up
> was for my Jaz drive to spin up to mount them and down to unmount
> them.
>
> So again: Is MacPerl too efficient? I didn't even get the chance to
> drink my coffee!

I was shocked at how fast MacPerl was when I did my IBM 360 assembler for my
Language processors class.  At the time, I just thaught it was the speed of
my then new G3/266 ( which is still pretty darn fast ).  It could crunch
through the 250 line sample program and output the complete object file
instaniously.  I just droped my source file on the assembler and bam, it was
assembled.

But the best part of doing the assembler in Perl was that it was only 5
pages and only took 3.5 hours to write.  The ones in the class who did it in
C had 20+ pages and it took them Many days, and I wont even mention the C++
efforts.

--

-Derrik

 firebug@apk.net                   http://come.to/thefire