Re: [MacPerl] Net-Telnet 3.01 module...

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 01:40:17PM -0500, Larry Moore wrote:
} At 10:59 -0400 25/05/1999, Dick Munroe wrote:
} >I had reason to want to fly a box that only has a telnet interface.  I
} >downloaded net-telnet and the test provided (select.t) with macperl
} >failed.  It worked out of the box on a Vax.  I'm not yet enough of a
} >socket's programmer to figure out exactly what failed, but I'ld be
} >interested in getting this module working on a Mac, so if anybody has
} >figured it out, let me know?
} >
} >Thanks,
} >
} >Dick Munroe
}
} Are you asking about JROGERS/Net-Telnet-3.01.tar.gz?
} I get
} 1..1
} not ok 1 from the select.t included with the package. I'll leave it to the
} wise to explain but based just on that -  a FAIL report.

Just out of curiosity, Dick and Larry, what are you running, Open
Transport or MacTCP?

Anyway, I had a chance to look at this test late this afternoon.  It
doesn't actually seem to be testing Net::Telnet at all.  Instead, it
seems to be testing the ability of Perl to open a socket using
socket() with a protocol of 0.  On Unix, 0 is AF_UNSPEC.  I'm
wondering whether GUSI and/or Open Transport/MacTCP knows what to do
with that.  If one of you could step through it in the debugger, you'd
probably find out exactly where it's failing.  I'm not booting back to
MacOS until next week or I would do it.

FAIL is appropriate, but that doesn't mean the module won't work.  As
I said before, the module does work under MacPerl, so the best thing
to do would be to try it for the intended application.

}
} -
} The world is one country and mankind, its citizens.
}
} Larry Moore and Shirley Allan
} Union Street West
} Fergus ON Canada