with.  It seems stable (as stable as Apple events can be :) and fast and
the interface is not going to change much, I think.  All I need to do now
is add a few more features and iron out any bugs that you may find.

Monday, June 7, 1999

THIS IS ALPHA CODE AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR CRASH YOUR COMPUTER IN
THE MEANTIME.  I'm not just saying that, I mean it.

Note: gluenotes.pod is deprecated now.  All current documentation is
in this file and the Mac::Glue POD.

Please read this README.  Mac::Glue is not self-explanatory.  Some
assembly is required.

WHAT THIS IS
- ------------

It is an architecture for using Apple event terminology in MacPerl.
It is cool.
It is very unfinished.

GETTING STARTED
- ---------------

NOTE: some of the modules installed by cpan-mac and this distribution
might be older than versions you have installed (though in most
cases, that's unlikely).  If you install modules on your own often,
peruse the blib directory for modules you might not want to overwrite
ones you have installed.

Install the cpan-mac distribution (0.22 is the latest version) if you
haven't already.  In your Preferences, set site_perl as a libraries
path (so it will come before your main MacPerl lib directory).

Put the modules where they belong.  Everything need that doesn't come
with MacPerl or cpan-mac is here, including updated modules
Mac::AppleEvents::Simple, Mac::AppleEvents & Mac::Memory
(including shared libraries), Mac::AETE, and Mac::Glue itself.

For reference, Mac::Memory has a bug fixed in Handle::get, where a
null descriptor record would return garbled data.  Mac::AppleEvents
has its constants inlined, and has three functions added: AEPutKey,
AEPutKeyDesc, and AEGetKey.  See the POD in Mac::AppleEvents::Simple
and Mac::Glue for their changes.

The best way to install all this is with the installme program from
the cpan-mac distribution.  However, because we install our own new
ExtUtils::MM_MacOS and AutoSplit modules, you will need to run
installme on this distribution TWICE.  Kinda lame, but oh well.
cpan-mac can be found at:

    http://www.perl.com/authors/id/CNANDOR/

This will put everything in the right place, and autosplit where
necessary, and make life simple.  HOWEVER, you might want to back up
old modules and files that are being installed here, because the
existing files in the site_perl directory will be deleted if they
exist.

This is not an official release of any of the extra modules included
with this distribution (like Mac::AppleEvents and Mac::AETE).

After installing, you need to run the gluedialect program and then the
gluescriptadds program.

Then, for each application you want to script, drop it on the gluemac
droplet.  Applications should not be running, in general, when dropped
on the droplet (though in some cases it will work anyway, and in some
cases the droplet will launch the application for you to get the
needed information).  First program you should drop on the droplet is
probably the Finder.  For each example script in this distribution you
want to try, run the applications through the droplet first.

PLAYING
- -------

Seems to be pretty stable so far.  Please play and read the notes
and feed back to macperl-modules (see http://www.macperl.org/
for more details).  Feel free to send any feedback, including
patched, to the list.

- --
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])