[MacPerl] First Steps - Scripts On HTTP Server

I'm now at the point where I can upload scripts to my ISP's server. I have
Fetch 3.03 [thankyou ... upgraded from 2.0 which dosen't have Set
Permissions option] so I can set permissions. My ISP has given me a
cgi-bin. I want to get a simple script to run so that I can confirm that I
can upload scripts and have them run on the ISP's server.

At http://www.aworldofus.com/cgi-bin/test.cgi is the following script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
open (TEST, '>test.txt') or die;
print TEST 'the famous hello world';
close TEST;

I wrote the script in Macperl, saved it locally, FTP'ed it using Fetch
3.03, put the file with name 'test.cgi' in text format in the cgi-bin on
the server. I used Fetch's Remote / Set Permissions command to set read /
write / searchexecute for owner, group, and everyone. [I tried a few other
combinations, but thought for testing this would elminate any permissions
issues??].

I typed in http://www.aworldofus.com/cgi-bin/test.cgi in my browser, and
was sent back a message:

Internal Server Error
to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, todd@lis.net.au and inform them of
the time the error occurred, and
anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
Premature end of script headers: /home/jmnc/cgi-bin/test.cgi

I checked using fetch the cgi-bin folder to see if a file called test.txt
had been created and none had.

The server is Linux.

Any thoughts?

Cheers ... John