Re: [MacPerl] Variable Names in Formatted Output

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 08:55:45AM -0500, Jay Bedsole (rwdd30) wrote:
> Chris writes:
>
> > Your code works for me.  It isn't incorrect.
>
> Curious, I don't have access to a Mac here at work,
> but I see the same problems as Robert on a unix box.
> I don't see how the formatting will work without the
> dot. Maybe MacPerl assumes the dot (somehow)?

With %s, the number after the dot is the maximum field width.
The number before the dot is the minimum field width.

Original code:

How many columns? 20
Enter a list of words:
first
second
third
^D
               first
              second
               third

Code with period:

How many columns? 20
Enter a list of words:
first
second
third
^D
first
second
third

perl5.004_04, IRIS
perl5.004_03, SunOS
perl5.005_02, Win32  # except ^Z instead of ^D, of course  :)
perl5.002, Ultrix

I am very skeptical about the 'problems' in this case.

Ronald