Re: [MacPerl] Completely off topic database question

Hello,

Awrcomp@aol.com wrote:

> My apologies for going so far off topic. I asked this question in what should
> have been an appropriate forum, but got no answer. So I figured I would try
> it on the experienced folks in this list...
>
> I would like to move my personal finance information from Managing Your Money
> (no updates in years) to Postgres on MkLinux. I figured I could export all
> the data from MYM as reports and then use MacPerl to do what ever
> reformatting would be necessary. My question is, does anyone know of a SQL
> model for personal financial information readily available? I would perfer
> not to have to reinvent the wheel.

I am not completely sure of the "SQL model" you are talking about.  However, I
am familiar with databases.  My approach would be to use relational database
experience in dividing up the export data into physical files.  Identify the
primary and foreign keys and then use Postgres to import the data into
corresponding tables.  If you don't have primary and foreign keys, as do some
exports, you may want to create your own and assign the values to fields in the
export data or during export into the database.  You may have a difficulty in
identifying relationships such as what distributions belong to what checks.

Without knowing the scope of the project the above information may be helpful or
a good laugh for you.  It all depends on what you are exporting and what the
contents of the export provides.  Most exports only give you the known data.
They usually hide things like primary keys, etc.

HTH

Robert Pollard