[MacPerl] Q: Sleeping script consuming cpu time?

Hi there,

I've been working on a script that I run in the background to keep me
logged into my dsl provider. I'm concerned about how much cpu time the
sleep mode is consuming. If I open MacPerl with no scripts running, it
consumes less that 1% of the cpu. If I run the script, it maxes out cpu
time while it initializes and transmits/receives data, then the cpu
usage drops to about 30%. (I'm monitoring this with Peek-a-boo.) I've
also tried using the select(undef, undef, undef, $time); syntax instead
of sleep($time), but to no avail. How can I get MacPerl to *really*
sleep?

Thanks,
Troy Davis
begin:vcard
adr;dom:;;4009 Crosley Avenue;Cincinnati;Ohio;45212;
n:Davis;Troy
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Digissance Studios
version:2.1