No Subject

Are there other MacPerl users having trouble with CPAN.pm? I have gotten
it
to work to a small degree both by itself and using cpan-mac from C.
Nandor.

However, the LW and Net FTP don't work, basically because of a problem it
has with Types.pm ("uninitialized values"). Furthermore, other actors in
the bundling and installing don't work, i.e., whatever module has gzopen,
and the Gestalt.pm module, which is called by several others in the CPAN
world, and which MacPerl says doesn't work.

I could get CPAN to bundle *some* but not most files I downloaded using
regular FTP. In the case of CPAN.pm, installing the newest CPAN.pm makes
the cpan-mac version crash.

I also tried using the glue module from the same site/person as cpan-mac,
but it had similar problems creating glue functions - the Gestalt problem
and several other "uninitialized values" problems.

My environment:

A desktop Mac G3 with OS 8.1, the version-before-latest of MPW, and
MacPerl
5.2r4. My selected editor is BBEdit Lite 4.1, and I use PPP/MacTCP for
ftping.

The process I have used:

(1) Installed Perl from scratch (MacPerl book CD, 5.2.0r4), first the app,
then the tool.Gave MacPerl 32M to handle CPAN stuff.
(2) Tried "use CPAN" and then "shell()" in a perl program. No luck.
(3) Set Perl's HOME and EDIT variables and put site-perl in the LIBS as
first directory to search.
(4) Installed cpan-mac (apparently successfully). It mainly seems to be a
short program that sets environmental variables then shells CPAN.pm.
(5) FTP didn't work during cpan configure - oddly enough one or two sites
did seem to work eventually after several tries at configuring. Usually
got, "uninitialized value" and "bad array {00xH45}"-type error messages
during FTP attempts. After several tries at configuring I finally got some
site lists to pick.
(6) in CPAN shell, did an r to get module suggestions.
(7) No new modules could be ported by cpan's FTP, either LW or net ftp.
(8) One or two downloaded modules could be gotten/made/installed by CPAN,
but usually not.
(9) downloaded latest CPAN was installed, but that was bad, CPAN shell
went
into fast infinite loop and MacPerl had to be aborted. This problem went
away when older CPAN was reinstalled. In general, installing new versions
of most of the recommended modules crashed cpan.

other modules:

The installme.plx that comes with cpan-mac works far better than cpan-mac
or anything CPAN, so far. In particular, i installed glue apparently
successfully with two passes through installme. It would take an app, say
Finder, and indeed produce a pod with its Apple Events, but its other
task,
creating functions in the Glue.pm module, didn't work for similar reasons
to some cpan problems. Gestalt and Types.pm don't seem to work well with
these.

Has anyone gotten any of these to work, either CPAN.pm itself or cpan-mac
or glue? Are there variables I need to set? Module versions that are
incompatible?

Sincerely
M. Delgado