Re: [MacPerl] Any shareware advice ?

The shareware vs. 'freeware' thing... I think it is affected by the
scripting vs. compiled app thing. All I do is scripting, I don't
use a compiler, because I have no idea *how* to use a compiler, oh,
and I don't know any languages like Java, C, etc. - strictly a
UserTalk, Perl, etc. kinda guy (as well as dabbling in others;)

Anything I do in Perl, I'd release as GPL, since someome could
probably do it better, faster, cleaner than me if they really tried.
If I did a real app, compiled and all, I'm not sure how I would
release it, doesn't the GPL allow for charging money for the software,
but still require that the source be open? Wouldn't this mean all the
Mac users would pay for it, except the ones that have compilers and feel
like building it?

I like the 'charge for services, give the code away' model too, of course...

I do web-based apps, and (eventually) will release all the code
(when I have time!) I charge for the install/setup, and customization...

?

Pete

pprodoehl@qgraph.com
http://www.quadcreative.com/