Re: [MacPerl] What am I not seeing?

On Thu, 15 Jul 99 09:11:33 -0700, Brian McNett wrote:

>Always someone who doesn't 'get' it.  The syntax errors aren't the point.
> Vicki was VERY clear on that issue.  She KNOWS they're there. In fact,
>they MUST be there for the script to generate the error code! Or at LEAST
>the first error must be. RE-READ:
>
>> Note here that I am NOT asking for help finding the syntax errors. I did
>> that ageas ago. What's weird is that the Syntax Error message changes
>> radically when I remove and replace a single (commented!) line of code. Why?

<yawn>.

You dopn't really want to say that you want the error reports on the
syntax errors would actually make sense, do you? That's a limitation of
virtually every compiler, not just Perl. They can correctly understand
if there is no error, but if there is, they can only TRY to guess what
is wrong, but actually, they don't have a clue. If we'd get really
phylosophical (time for another beer... bartender!), if Perl KNEW what
exactly what was wrong with your code, then there's not really a reason
to even consider it a syntax error, is there?

I NEVER take the error messages compilers give me seriously. The LINE
NUMBER of the first reported error will be in the neighbourhood,
although it's usually too far down. All other error messages are plain
and simple garbage. You usually even have error messages for "errors"
that wouldn't be reported if that first error wasn't there. I can see no
point for the compiler to even report them. First error: bang. Rest
ignored. That's my style.

And no, there's no reason at all why other Perl ports would behave any
differently. After all, they all share the same code for the
parser/compiler.

	Bart.