Re: [MacPerl] What am I not seeing?

Oops! I sent this once, but my email system is undergoing
a friendly address change and I think I may have been
blocked as an outsider... I've resubscribed as the new me,
hopefully there won't be two of this message...

Vicki asks:

> What's weird is that the Syntax Error message changes
> radically when I remove and replace a single (commented!)
> line of code. Why?

I've seen similar changes in error messages due to what
I thought should be benign, unrelated changes elsewhere
in my code. Furthermore, I've seen this unpredictable
behavior on both Macs and unix boxes, therefore I think
it is not endemic to MacPerl, but is probably perl-generic.

I'm surprised no one else is reporting similar historical
phenomena, but then maybe I'm just an incredibly sloppy
ti^Hyppp^H^Hia^Hst..^H

Like Bart, history has told me that when this happens I
can usually track my problem down by double checking my
braces and semicolons. I doubt, very seriously, that
understanding the change in behavior will help you in
debugging future syntax problems... I don't know if that's
where you're headed - maybe you're just plain curious.

jay