Re: [MacPerl] What's Latest MacPerl

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 11:41:51AM -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
} At 12:56 AM +1000 7/17/99, Peta Adams - John Murray wrote:
} >I have Macperl 5.2.or4 for PPC, patch level 5.004. Is there a later macperl
} >than this. If so what were the improvements.
}
} 5.2.0r4 (based on Perl 5.004) is the latest; Matthias Neeracher has been
} working on porting Perl 5.005, but it's a rather complicated task, given
} that there is no Mac OS support for threads (sigh).  OTOH, threads aside,

Uhh, say what?  MacOS has had threads for quite a while.  They're
used, for example, in the OS 8 Finder, and in many other pieces of
MacOS software (Eudora, MT-Newswatcher).  I can believe that the
porting might be a pain, but it's not because the OS lacks threads.

Using threads in Perl 5.005 is actually fraught with peril, and no one
who doesn't know what they're doing (like me) should be using them
anyway, even if they do have access to a platform where they can work.
Go to the perl5-porters archive for the blow-by-blow accounts.  There
are all sorts of troubles that can crop up, not the least of which
that a lot of popular modules aren't thread safe.

} 5.005 isn't all that much different from 5.004, so your mileage shouldn't
} vary (much).
}
} -r
} --