Re: [MacPerl] What's Latest MacPerl

At 15:56 -0400 07/16/1999, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>Uhh, say what?  MacOS has had threads for quite a while.  They're
>used, for example, in the OS 8 Finder, and in many other pieces of
>MacOS software (Eudora, MT-Newswatcher).  I can believe that the
>porting might be a pain, but it's not because the OS lacks threads.

It's true that the MacOS has provided limited thread support since 7.5, but:

"The Thread Manager is an addition to the Macintosh Toolbox that
enables concurrent programming for true multitasking within an
application. The Thread Manager supports cooperative and preemptive
threads of execution at the application level, not at the system
level."
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n15963

I would not presume to know exactly how the lack of system level
support for threads impacts a port of 5.005 to the current MacOS, but
gather from Rich's post that it is a deal breaker. A more interesting
issue is why MacPerl doesn't support threading at the application
level in any case (at least as far as I know)?

Richard Gordon