Re: [MacPerl] What's Latest MacPerl

In article <v04205500b3b7cc73ccdf@[209.214.64.206]>, Richard Gordon <maccgi@bellsouth.net> writes:
> At 15:56 -0400 07/16/1999, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>> Uhh, say what?  MacOS has had threads for quite a while.

> I would not presume to know exactly how the lack of system level
> support for threads impacts a port of 5.005 to the current MacOS, but
> gather from Rich's post that it is a deal breaker. A more interesting
> issue is why MacPerl doesn't support threading at the application
> level in any case (at least as far as I know)?

I'm sort of in the middle of writing a position paper on this, but to explain
the issues briefly:

 - The MacOS thread manager was not integrated with the POSIX model of
   operation (where you would, at the least, expect blocking file and network
   calls to switch threads).
 - Support for multiple Perl interpreters in the same process used to bve
   somewhat flaky, but luckily, that's an area where Windows and MacOS perl
   have similar interests.

Matthias

  "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
   of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
                                -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_