Re: [MacPerl] What's Latest MacPerl

At 23:09 +0200 07/19/1999, Matthias Neeracher wrote:
>I'm sort of in the middle of writing a position paper on this, but to explain
>the issues briefly:
>
> - The MacOS thread manager was not integrated with the POSIX model of
>   operation (where you would, at the least, expect blocking file and network
>   calls to switch threads).
> - Support for multiple Perl interpreters in the same process used to bve
>   somewhat flaky, but luckily, that's an area where Windows and MacOS perl
>   have similar interests.

Thanks for the comments, Matthias, altho I'm not sure that I really
understand what you mean.

Am I correct in believing that your mention of POSIX is purely an
illustrative reference (e.g., POSIX doesn't have anything to do with
the current MacOS as such)? Also, I understand you to be saying that
under both MacOS and Windows, trying to run multiple perl
interpreters within the same process essentially doesn't work.

I've forgotten why, but it seems like I  used to use a clumsy resedit
hack to run multiple copies of the same app as separate processes
even under System 7. Would this kind of thing make it possible (if
not especially practical) to run concurrent scripts that had hacked
creator codes to reference correspondingly hacked copies of MacPerl
(MacPerl, MacPerl1, MacPerl2, etc.)?

Richard Gordon