Re: [MacPerl] out of memory

Jean-Francois Jobidon, <jfjobidon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> it is impossible to open it with macPerl !
> Perl give me this message :
> "The file is too big to be edited in MacPerl"
> The file has 72 087 bytes.
>
> What can I do ?

You need an EDITOR.

Let me explain. MacPerl uses the Mac Toolbox's TextEdit routines for its
editing functions, which limits it to 32K files or smaller (not so hot).
To get around this you need a text-editor that ties into MacPerl.  Most
people on this list will point you at BBEdit (currently in version 5.1.1
(?).  In its latest incarnation BBEdit's MacPerl integration is built-in,
and VERY nice (say a big hello to Jim Corriea, of Bare Bones, who
frequents this list!). You'll have to pay about $100 US for BBEdit, but
it's one of the best investments any Mac programmer can make.

http://www.barebones.com/

Alpha is also a very nice text editor, which ties in nicely to MacPerl,
and there are a few people on this list who'd advocate it as well.  Since
it isn't a commercial product, it has a slight advantage over BBEdit in
that it's freely available. I don't have a URL for Alpha handy, but I
suspect it can be found on Info-Mac

Quite personally, I find that I get more mileage out of MacPerl using
BBEdit than I'd ever gotten out of MacPerl alone. In fact, since its now
possible to use Perl scripts as BBEdit includes, I'm getting even MORE
mileage out of the combo.

--B

# Fungal Parataxonomy                   Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
# Webmaster, Staff Writer      **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
#
# First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
# Then you win.                                     --Mohandas Gandhi