[MacPerl] AppleEvents with remote addresses

I'm writing an special purpose application to remote control an installation
of a large number of Macs from a single administrative Mac running MacPerl.
I'd prefer to avoid installing MacPerl on all of the clients.

I have a prototype that works using MacPerl::doAppleScript, but is,
unsurprisingly, quite slow.  I would like to generate AppleEvents from perl,
but will use precompiled AppleScript through OSA if AppleEvents are going to
be a tremendously difficult thing to do.

After I crashed my Mac a few times, I searched through the archives of this
list and noticed an old discussion thread regarding addressing remote
AppleEvents.  I got the impression I might be out of luck.  Has work been
done recently on working out how to construct an AEDesc of type 'targ'?  Is
there any kind of MacPerl interface to the PPCToolbox (alpha quality even)?

I'd be happy to tackle the task of implementing the pieces I need if it's
not going to stall my project.  At first glance, it seems that packing a
target AEDesc and/or binding the PPCToolbox into MacPerl shouldn't be too
painful, but I'm no Mac guru.

Can anyone who's worked on MacPerl AppleEvents or related code give me a
better sense of the scale of this?  Any advice or pointers to documentation
or code I should look over would also be appreciated.

Cameron Ashby
Evolution Online Systems
cameron@evolution.com
http://www.evolution.com