[MacPerl] Version numbers for Mac:: modules?

Hi,

I'm wondering why lots of the Mac modules out there don't seem to have $VERSION
numbers in them.  It makes it difficult to know whether I've got the latest
version or not.

For instance, I'm trying to run the MacPerl Fractal Explorer posted by Kevin,
and it says:

  # Requires MacPerl 5.2.1a1 or later and "19-May-98
  # versions of QuickDraw and QDOffscreen"

I can't tell whether I've got those or not.  In any case, the script doesn't
seem to work, and fails with mysterious errors instead of (I think) just
telling me I don't have a recent enough version.

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum