Re: [MacPerl] DisposeSpeechChannel?

In article <v0421010bb3f73b769f87@[171.66.65.32]>, Eric Albert <ejalbert@cs.stanford.edu> writes:

> At 2:15 PM -0500 9/4/99, Greenblatt & Seay wrote:
>> Is there any harm in exiting a MacPerl program that uses Mac::Speech, and
>> that has opened and used one or more speech channels (NewSpeechChannel),
>> without closing those channels (DisposeSpeechChannel) first?

MacPerl will clean up once it quits, but that may be long after the *script*
ends. Therefore, scripts should always clean up behind themselves.

> The Speech Manager releases any speech channels that have not been
> explicitly disposed of by an application when the application quits.

True, but, as I explain above, not entirely applicable to MacPerl.

> In general, however, your application should dispose of any speech
> channels it has created whenever it receives a suspend event.

That's a fairly bizarre statement. I don't think it has any relevance
nowadays. Consider that part of the documentation waived :-)

> What that says about suspend events is interesting, though.  How
> exactly does one go about getting suspend events from MacPerl?

Through Mac::Events. See Mac::Windows for an example.

Matthias

  "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
   of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
                                -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_