Re: [MacPerl] comparing image files

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:07:00 -0700, Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in comparing image files, in order to find duplicates.
> Because there are several thousand files, an NxN comparison is out of
> the question.  Also, it is quite possible that some of the images may
> have been resized or tweaked in other manners, so the comparison will
> not be an exact one.  Finally, the images are mostly in JPEG format,
> so they will have to be expanded into pixels before any comparison
> can be done.

Have a look at

http://www3.pair.com/odreer/pico.html

You'll find a Mac program that does exactly what you want. The problem is
that, although it does a very good job with comparing pictures, the user
interface is not fault tolerant (corrupt pictures might freeze your
machine) and there is no way to export the list of proposed similar items,
etc. So in my opinion it is of not much use in the real world.

My point is, that the author might hand over the algorithm or even the
source code, so you could reimplement it in Perl. If you succeed, share it
with us!

Peter

__Hilke & Peter Hartmann________

mailto:hphartmann@arcormail.de