[MacPerl] Character translation problem

I have a web form that the office uses for e-mail distribution. They paste
the text in box and it gets written to a text file on the server. Every few
minutes a script runs that mails what it finds.

Some characters are getting munged - apostrophes look like commas, and
opening and closing quotes come out as a weird "double comma" and a percent
sign, respectively. They're using PC's, and I can't duplicate the problem
from Word on the Mac.

Now if I run:

### now fix some funny characters

$text =~ s/\xE2/\'/g;   #apostraphe
$text =~ s/\xE3/\"/g;   #opening double quote
$text =~ s/\xE4/\"/g;   #closing double quote

in MacPerl, the problem gets fixed. Put the same file on the Unix server,
and it doesn't.

here's a snippet of what actually gets mailed:

 ...then “ADDRESS”. If access isn’t convenient...

which should be:

 ...then "ADDRESS". If access isn't convenient...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve Swantz
sneakers@nwaalpa.org