Re: [MacPerl] this is a test of the new footer

Jim Correia, <correia@barebones.com> wrote:
>At 11:54 AM -0700 9/24/99, Vicki Brown wrote:
>> I'm checking out how smart Majordomo is...
>>
>> David Seay asked if I could put # in front of the "Want to unsibscribe?
>> trailer... to make posting scripts to the list a little easier :-)
>>
>> For chuckles, I thought I'd try it.
>
>#!perl -w
># I don't do perl by default, but doesn't posting your
># scripts like this have the same effect?
>
>print "hello world!\n";
>
>__END__
>
>now you can put your signature here, or majordomo stuff
>and it shouldn't affect the script

True except on the off chance someone posts a module, in which case the
last line should read:

1;

as all modules must return TRUE. I like the idea of putting # in front of
the footer message.  Note my .sig file.  Plus you'll see a fair load of
newbies who can't be expected to know better, quick&dirty scripts (like
the 'hello world' example above) whose authors shouldn't be asked to add
"\n__END__\n" to them (as they're so short to begin with), and mere
snippets of code, where you won't even find a #!perl at the top.

Of course, the truly lazy way to go about this is to write a Perl Filter
for BBEdit which strips the mail headers and listserver footers from
scripts posted to the MacPerl mailing list.

--B

# Brian McNett                                      Fungal Parataxonomy
# Webmaster, Staff Writer               Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
#                              **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
# First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
# Then you win.                                     --Mohandas Gandhi