Re: [MacPerl] icons

In article <19991020221903.B337327@linguist.dartmouth.edu>, Ronald J Kimball <rjk@linguist.dartmouth.edu> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 03:14:52PM -0700, Nicholas G. Thornton wrote:
>> I'm interested in writing a program that strips off custom icons from items
>> dropped on it. To do this I was wondering "where" the icon is stored. (any
>> other hints'd be good too)

> That depends on the item.  Custom icons for folders are stored in a file
> named "Icon\cM" within the folder.

Yes.

> Custom icons for files are generally stored in the resource fork of the
> application, according to the file's Creator type.

Those are *not* custom icons. Custom icons are stored as icon family -16455
(ICN#, icl8, icl4, ics#, ics8, ics4) in the file. Be sure to also clean the
hasCustomIcon flag (0x400) in the fdFlags of the FInfo record.

Matthias

   " `For tactical reasons,' the blonde said, `we do not currently advocate
    the use of violence or sorcery against private individuals.' "
                                        -- William Gibson, _Virtual Light_