Re: [MacPerl] slow startup

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:50:25 +0200, Christian Huldt wrote:

>Sometimes after running MacPerl for months on a machine it starts to
>take about half a minute to compile script. The run fast as ever, but
>first the whole machine is unresponsive... It makes all those nifty
>little droplets major pains.
>
>Any clues?

"Months"? You're kidding, right? ;-) I can't get my Mac to run without a
need for restarting, ooh, once every few hours.

Anyway. It sounds to me (although this is an uneductated guess) that
your memory is getting very much fragmented, so MacPerl is wasting most
of it's time in messy memory managment. Try quitting MacPerl (not
restarting the Mac) before trying to run another script, thereby
starting up MacPerl again.

If that actually helps, you could try do it in a script, once in a
while:

	MacPerl::Quit 2;

MacPerl does queueing of scripts to run. But if a script quits MacPerl,
I'm afraid that the rest of the queue is simply lost...

--
	Bart.