Re: [MacPerl] Comments and questions from a new user

>Good job on MacPerl, to those here that worked on it; it looks good and
>solid and very compatible with Perl on other platforms, plus it seems to
>have some good Mac additions.  (Which I really haven't gone into yet.)  The
>main problems are that it seems a bit pokey (expected for an interpreter)
>and the text editor is =very= basic.  (No shift-arrow to select text, no
>forward delete.)

Most of the more experienced MacPerlers use an external editor such as
BBEdit or Alpha, rather than MacPerl's built-in editor.  Perl support in
BBEdit is nothing short of spectacular, and Alpha's no slouch either.  I
practically LIVE in BBEdit.  Once you've had syntax-coloring,
single-click access to both MacPerl and Shuck, and the ability to run
perl scripts as BBEdit filters, you'll never edit scripts directly within
MacPerl again.

Actually, the main reason for using an external editor is that MacPerl's
editor can't deal with files larger than 32K.  This is a limit of Apple's
TextEdit, and could easily be obviated by switching to another
text-engine, but with such good external editors there's little reason to.

--B

# Brian McNett                                      Fungal Parataxonomy
# Webmaster, Staff Writer               Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
#                              **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
# First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.
# Then you win.                                     --Mohandas Gandhi