[MacPerl] Re: [MacPerl-WebCGI] MacPerl CGI and Mac-based Web Servers Puzzle

Dear Ronald,

>   foreach $key (keys(%ENV)) {
>	print "$key => $ENV{$key}<br>\n";
>	}

>The returned page produces the following (cut and paste from Netscape):
>
>   => SERVER_SOFTWARE
>   GET => SERVER_NAME
>   Keep-Alive => HTTP_HOST
>   MACPERL => Macintosh_HD:Applications:MacPerl Ä:
>   80 => SCRIPT_NAME
>   Mozilla/4.61 (Macintosh; I; PPC) => HTTP_CONNECTION
>   iso-8859-1,*,utf-8 => HTTP_ACCEPT
>   192.168.5.4 => REQUEST_METHOD
>   MacHTTP/2.0 => GATEWAY_INTERFACE
>   TMPDIR => Macintosh HD:Temporary Items:
>   CGI/1.1 => SERVER_PROTOCOL
>   en => HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET
>   /cgi-bin/test.cgi => HTTP_USER_AGENT
>   gzip => HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE
>   HTTP/1.0 => REMOTE_ADDR
>   USER => Ronald Thisted
>   PERL5LIB => Macintosh_HD:Applications:MacPerl Ä:lib
>
>Note how the %ENV hash is trashed.

I don't understand completely what you are saying with "trashed".
The output looks a bit better for me. I tested with iCab and NetScape
4.7 + WebStar though.

GATEWAY_INTERFACE => CGI/1.1
MACPERL => Fressplatte:Programme:MacPerl Ä:
REMOTE_ADDR => 128.128.18.103
SERVER_PROTOCOL => HTTP/1.0
HOME => Fressplatte:Programme:MacPerl Ä:
REQUEST_METHOD => GET
HTTP_USER_AGENT => iCab/Pre1.7 (Macintosh; I; PPC)
HTTP_ACCEPT => image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/xbm, image/png, */*
TMPDIR => Fressplatte:Temporary Items:
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE => de
SCRIPT_NAME => /tests/testcgi.acgi
HTTP_PRAGMA => no-cache
SERVER_NAME => mac5.wmd.de
SERVER_PORT => 80
HTTP_HOST => mac5.wmd.de
USER => Axel
PERL5LIB => Fressplatte:Programme:MacPerl Ä:site_perl

I suppose it has to do with not masking '>'. You should write:
   print "$key =&gt; $ENV{$key}<br>\n";

Some browsers slurp this HTML syntax error, others don't.
All the other non alpha-numerical characters should be
encoded as well. (I like the "Ä" especially as in "Ärger" :))

For checking HTML syntax I very much like to use iCab, an alternative
and very elegant browser which features an integrated check utility.
See http://www.icab.de/ It's just a 2MB single file application.

Many regards

Axel