Re: [MacPerl] Why do I get an error using 'rename'?

I'm not sure why, but it seems that nobody has pointed out that you would have
a much easier time with this if you let Perl tell you why it fails.  Change
your rename line to:

  rename ($file, $temp) or warn "Could not rename $file to $temp: $!\n";

Perl can tell you this stuff, make sure you take advantage of it.

raterwil@ucla.edu (Robert Terwilliger) wrote:
>Hi people.  I am trying to remove the '.out' suffix from each file in my
>directory.  Here is my code:
>
>opendir(DIR, ':::healthcare.ucla.edu:pls:') or die 'cannot open directory';
>@files = readdir(DIR);
>closedir(DIR);
>
>foreach $file (@files)
>{
>    if ($file =~ m/.out/)
>    {
>        ($temp = $file) =~ s/.out//;
>        rename ($file, $temp) or warn "Could not rename $file to $temp\n";
>    }
>}
>
>###########################
>
>This is MacPerl console output:
>
># Could not rename acne.htm.out to acne.htm
># Could not rename ageskin.htm.out to ageskin.htm
># Could not rename arthritis.htm.out to arthritis.htm
># Could not rename asthma.htm.out to asthma.htm
>
>'rename' is returning 0 and not 1.  How do I get this to work?
>
>--
>Robert Terwilliger, M.S.
>raterwil@ucla.edu

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum