[MacPerl] AppleEvents, hard to grasp!

MacPerl usage story.

I try to write a CGI. I need AppleEvents. I tested Mac::Glue.
This works but is too slow for my target application.

I tried to translate the Mac::Glue code to Mac:AppleEvents::Simple.
It looked easy - I used the code I got from Capture AE and built my
own AppleEvents. The script doesn't work any longer.

Now I tried to understand more. I read through the "Simple" docs.
They say: all the details about format and parameters can be found
in the AppleEvents.pm documentation and within the macperlcat manpage.

I opened AppleEvents.pm with Shuck. It is not printable. (1)
I searched for AppleEvents.pm in CPAN - this is printable but
incomplete because pod2html didn't processed the .xs file.

Now I found in the MacPerl mailing list that a program "pod2ps"
exists which overcomes this. Looking through CPAN I couldn't find "pod2ps". (2)
I found it by "ftpsearch.lycos.com". On the Mac this version doesn't run
out of the box. O.K. - I inserted the command line arguments manually.
I don't know why but it is still incomplete.
This doesn't matter though because it wouldn't contain the needed
info about AE parameters.

As a last resort I downloaded the Inside Mac PDFs from Apple.
I found some hundreds of pages relevant for IAC.

I can only but hope that other users have more luck.

Don't get me wrong - I very much appreciate the work done.
Thank you Chris, Thanks Alan, Thanks Matthias.

IMHO only a dozen or so people are able to work efficently
with MacPerl/CGI and AppleEvents driven databases.
I don't give up, yet.

Sincerely

Axel

(1) it is printable by copy&past export to a text editor, but ...
(2) you find it if you know the author, search.cpan.org doesn't find it