Re: [MacPerl] pod2pdf - someone interested?

Axel Rose, <rose@sj.com> wrote:

>I'm seriously considering to write a helper to convert POD documentation
>into Adobe's PDF format, which (mind!) doesn't make use of the commercial
>distiller.
>
>Instead it uses Thomas Merz (www.pdflib.com) library which is available
>and usable with MacPerl too. (it's available in C++, Java, Perl, Python on
>different platforms too, under Aladdin Free Public license). That way you
>can write PDF directly, no need to write intermediate PS files.
>
>I'm not sure whether there is a real need for such a conversion.
>
>I personally don't like printing HTML pages (pod2html) and simple
>text files (copy&past to your editor) miss a lot of functionality.
>
>So please let me know if you are interested.

Sounds cool!  I'm interested.

http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=PDF

Which shows there are already 33 Perl modules for working with/creating
PDF files.

Specifically:

http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/M/MH/MHOSKEN/Text-PDF-0.06a.tar.gz

However, PDFlib looks more fully-formed to me, so you've probably already
hit on the best solution.

--B

Brian McNett, Webmaster