Re: [MacPerl] file length

Nick wrote:

> is there a built in function or module to calculate the length or size of
> file? I've tried using "read" but haven't been able to get it to work
right.

> If not how would I go about doing that (finding file length)?

    ## calculate the length of file content:

open D_E, "<MyFile.dat";
while (<D_E>)  {
  $Length += length ($_)   }
print "length of file content: ", $Length;

    ## size of file: Maybe someone knows ("Inside MacIntosh"?) how to read
the information
    ##   that can be read by means of
    ##       MacOS -> Finder -> select by clicking once "MyFile.dat" ->
command I -> "size (... bytes)"

Maybe beyond this you can write understandable language?

                    _\|/_
Detlef Lindenthal    o o   <detlef@lindenthal.com>