Re: The translate operator (was Re: [MacPerl] regex help)

At 11.45 -0500 1999.11.28, Ronald J Kimball wrote:
>In fact, I would say it the other way around: tr/// does not mean
>"transliterate", but some people think it does.

Well, you can say that, but I won't.  Anyway, this is kinda off topic, so
quickly: I think you are slightly misrepresenting the argument.

Basically, transliterate is defined in my dictionaries as to REPRESENT (not
necessarily "spell", which blurs the issue) a word in another alphabet
(which to my mind includes "character sets").  Clearly tr/// involves
representing letters in another character set.  And even if you disagree
with the slight loosening of the definition of "alphabet", it is still very
close.

And even if you still disagree, there is always Rule #1 ("Larry is always
right").  Larry likes "transliterate" better, and the docs have been
changed accordingly, with his blessing.

That's just a short summary.  If anyone cares to learn more, read all sides
of the discussion.

Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])