Re: [MacPerl] The Powers of Annoy

> Your sense of irony seems to be lost on some folks, since
> they seem insistent on preaching about true programming
> style... I get it, though.
>
> Anyway, the only thing that jumped out at me was that
> you are making some unnecessary assignments:
>
> $fl= length($f); $s = length($p); and $t = length($r);
>
> Since you're only using these variables once each, you
> should be able to simply substitute the functions...
>
> jay

Thanks! Yes, the irony must have gotten lost somewhere in the deep spaces of
unquestioned mind-reading, it seems... :) Youıre certainly right about the
unnecessary assignments. What I was aiming at originally was to improve the
non-recursive algorithm (which was originally developed/discovered at Bell
Laboratories). I would have loved to get some comments like "use this
not-so-common perl construct, namely ......., and your code will be more
compact/snappier/faster/transparent/elegant..." or the like. Unfortunately,
I seem to have gotten in my own way as my code was really much too cryptic.
I myself would have hardly had the nerve to hunt for the algorithm. Anyway,
I posted a revised version, so, maybe...

Again, thanks for posting your response. BTW, what do you do at
Motorola.com? A couple of months ago, I spent a few nights in order to get
online help on how to program the G3 in native assembler, where to buy
assembler/disassembler software, etc. Although I discovered and downloaded a
software-driven G4 velocity-engine emulator (fascinating!), really usable
material on how to program the G3/G4 I couldnıt find (apart from a few
schemata depicting the general G3 architecture and a few detailed pages on
the numerics processing capabilities of the chipset). The last Motorola
processor I programmed was the 68000, so itıs quite a "quantum leap" for me
to switch to this new architecture. Anyway, the desire to aquaint myself
more deeply with the G3/G4 is still lurking inside me, and if you could
point at some useful information (online, books, magazines, technical
documentation), I would be very grateful! I have access to the local
university library, too, so internationally published papers/treatises and
the like would be no big problem.

See you!
Michael