Re: [MacPerl] <aucun objet>

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:16:04 -0600, Jefferson R. Lowrey wrote:

>Build this into a droplet, drop CDs on it one at a time...

Oh no...

One thing I found out, is that MAcPerl is TERRIBLY slow to simply list
the whole contents of a CD, using File::Find, or using readdir() and the
file operators (-X). I'm talking about *hours*, for just *one* CD.
Actually, I tried to list the contents of a CD, with size and file info,
not more than a few directories with a few hundred files, and I had to
interrupt it after 4 hours. Less than half of the files were processed
in this time.

The culprit seems to be that MacPerl does a very poor job on directory
information caching (or at least, the underlying Toolbox routines do).
Simply getting one file name at a time, and then finding out if it's a
file or a directory, makes MacPerl search for the file name again, which
may take several seconds for a file; and slowing down with more files
per directory. Ask for file info, and again, it takes several seconds.

I rewrote my script in Applescript. At least, this time, it took less
than a minute.

--
	Bart.