Re: [MacPerl] OT: X on a mac?

At 11:27 PM -0500 1/21/00, Paul Schinder wrote:
>At 5:18 PM -0500 1/21/00, David Daniel Dierauer wrote:

>>I recently discovered X-Win32, which lets a PC user connect to a remote unix
>>server and run programs on it in a GUI, which is far more cool for
>>remote work
>>than, say, a telnet interface.
>>
>>Since I need to do a lot of unix programming this semester, I'm
>>hoping there's
>>a similar product for the mac, and would be most grateful for any pointers to
>>such a program.
>>
>>Please reply to me off-list, since this is not strictly Perl-related.
>

>For nothing, you can get MI/X from Microimages.
><http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/>  Works pretty well,
>considering the price.  That's what I use on those rare occasions
>I'm not near a Unix box and really need to use X.
>
>For money, you can get eXodus from White Pine
><http://www.wpine.com>. There's also MacX (not to be confused with
>MacOS X, but I suppose that also comes with X). From Apple, I think,
>but I don't know if they still sell/support it.  It will be at the
>Apple Store if they do, I suppose.  eXodus used to have a free demo
>version.  I've tried it, and it's very nice.
>
>For nothing, you can install Linux on a Mac and get the Real Thing,
>XFree86.  Then you can also use ssh and port forwarding to keep your
>connections secure.  If you're going to do a lot of Unix
>programming, might as well be on an actual Unix box.  On lots of
>Macs these days, you can run MOL and have MacOS at the same time.

Just to complete the above list, Tenon provides XTen which is a
direct competitor to eXodus. Also from Tenon is MachTen, which is a
Mach 2.5 kernel and BSD 4.4 UNIX (same as MacOS X Server) running on
top of MacOS. I've been using MachTen on everything from a IIci to an
iMac DV SE since 1993.

Mike Schienle                                 Interactive Visuals, Inc.
mgs@ivsoftware.com                  Remote Sensing and Image Processing
http://www.ivsoftware.com/         Analysis and Application Development