Re: [MacPerl] OT: X on a mac?

At 8:09 AM -0800 1/22/00, Mike Schienle wrote:
>At 11:27 PM -0500 1/21/00, Paul Schinder wrote:
>>At 5:18 PM -0500 1/21/00, David Daniel Dierauer wrote:
>>>I recently discovered X-Win32, which lets a PC user connect to a remote unix
>>>server and run programs on it in a GUI, which is far more cool for
>>>remote work
>>>than, say, a telnet interface.
>>>
>>>Since I need to do a lot of unix programming this semester, I'm
>>>hoping there's
>>>a similar product for the mac, and would be most grateful for any
>>>pointers to
>>>such a program.
>>>
>>>Please reply to me off-list, since this is not strictly Perl-related.
>>

>>For nothing, you can get MI/X from Microimages.
>><http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/>  Works pretty well,
>>considering the price.  That's what I use on those rare occasions
>>I'm not near a Unix box and really need to use X.
>>
>>For money, you can get eXodus from White Pine
>><http://www.wpine.com>. There's also MacX (not to be confused with
>>MacOS X, but I suppose that also comes with X). From Apple, I
>>think, but I don't know if they still sell/support it.  It will be
>>at the Apple Store if they do, I suppose.  eXodus used to have a
>>free demo version.  I've tried it, and it's very nice.
>>
>>For nothing, you can install Linux on a Mac and get the Real Thing,
>>XFree86.  Then you can also use ssh and port forwarding to keep
>>your connections secure.  If you're going to do a lot of Unix
>>programming, might as well be on an actual Unix box.  On lots of
>>Macs these days, you can run MOL and have MacOS at the same time.
>
>Just to complete the above list, Tenon provides XTen which is a
>direct competitor to eXodus. Also from Tenon is MachTen, which is a
>Mach 2.5 kernel and BSD 4.4 UNIX (same as MacOS X Server) running on
>top of MacOS. I've been using MachTen on everything from a IIci to
>an iMac DV SE since 1993.

And to more than complete the list, there's also VNC
<http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/>, which allows remote viewing of
displays between any combination of X, the Mac OS, and Win32 systems.
It's free.  Also free is WeirdX <http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/>,
which is an X server written in Java that runs pretty well under MRJ.

-Eric

--
Eric Albert                     ejalbert@cs.stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/