Re: [MacPerl] graphics

hello,

on 1/22/00 10:54 PM, Bruce Van Allen at bva@cruzio.com wrote:

> 3. Find a scriptable image manipulation app, use Chris's Glue, and code a
> set of batch processing commands for doing the work on a Mac
> (GraphicConverter, Debabelizer, Photoshop -- anybody tried this??).

I would first take a look at the freeware Clip2Gif.  From the documentation:

---
clip2gif is a utility program for converting PICT, GIF, TIFF and JPEG images
to any of these formats. It can also display and print them.

The input can be one of the following:
-PICT, GIF, TIFF or JPEG file
-PICT clipboard
-PICT AE object (with scripting)
-screen (with scripting)

The output can be one of the following:
-PICT, GIF, TIFF or JPEG file
-PICT in an AppleEvent reply (with scripting)
-PICT, GIF, TIFF or JPEG in an AppleEvent reply as a string (with scripting)

Options include output size, pixel depth, interlacing, transparency,
dithering, gray shades only, JPEG compression quality; and, via AppleEvents,
drawing of simple graphic elements.

If that doesn't make sense for you (maybe it does only for me), let's say
clip2gif is a powerful graphic converter.

clip2gif has been written to allow the dynamic creation of pictures for the
Web; it's one of the few graphic utilities that (a) are scriptable and (b)
write gifs. Version 0.7.1 does much more than that. But if it doesn't do
exactly what you would expect from a high-end image viewer, keep in mind
that its principal goal is (scriptable) image conversion and scriptable
image creation.

clip2gif can be found on many ftp archives, including info-mac (in gst/grf),
Umich (in graphics/graphicsutil) and their mirrors, under the name
"clip2gif", "cliptogif" or even "clip-to-gif".
---

There is even an example for use with MacPerl (although it doesn't utilize
Chris' Glue:

---
With MacPerl

To run AppleScript code, use the function &MacPerl'DoAppleScript. The
easiest way to use it is with a "here document". Here is an example:

$w = 100;
$h = 100;
$data = '{100,{65535,0,0},60,{0,65535,0},80,{0,0,65535},120}';
&MacPerl'DoAppleScript(<<eof);
tell app \"clip2gif\"
    set dr to {{chart data:$data,chart style:pie,position:{0,0,$w,$h}}}
    save {$w,$h} in window drawing dr
end
eof

See how you can mix Perl variables and code. Note also that quotes must be
escaped.
---

--
Enrique Terrazas, MD