Re: [MacPerl] graphics

Several people posted replies with helpful suggestions for my query
regarding scriptable batch re-sizing of jpegs (GIFs and PNGs too would be
nice). I think this also might have been useful to Nick Thornton, who
posted a similar question. Thanks!

One thing I want to repeat is that my goal here -- perhaps different from
Nick's -- is an automated process in which my [Mac]Perl scripts check the
size of images submitted by others, and re-size them to fit within my
clients' specifications, ideally without any operator participation.

This would happen via: 1) a drop folder in a networked machine, 2) a web
interface file-upload CGI, 3) an 'old-time' ftp repository, or 4) perhaps
other approaches using removable media. (And TIA but I'm not asking for
help with how to do _these_ things.)

I need [Mac]Perl involved because there're other things to do besides
manipulating the images. It's OK if the re-sizing has to be a separate
operation/script/macro, as long as I can chain it into a continuous process
with the other steps.

So, absent more suggestions it seems I'm narrowing my focus to:
  - the no-longer-being-developed Clip2Gif on Mac, or
  - ImageMagick/PerlMagick on any? system.

Re the latter, in a glance at O'Reilly's Programming Web Graphics by Shawn
Wallace, I found several references to installing ImageMagick/PerlMagick
and related libraries on Mac. This includes the statement that there are
pre-compiled binaries available for several platforms, including Mac. I
gather this refers to ImageMagick not PerlMagick, although the books says
"As of ImageMagick 4.0, PerlMagick comes with the standard distribution."

I'd love to use the capabilities of ImageMagick/PerlMagick, and it would be
great to use the same controlling code in Perl cross-platform, which argues
for this rather than Clip2Gif. Anybody using ImageMagick/PerlMagick on Mac?

Paul's script gives me a place to start with ImageMagick -- thanks! BTW,
congrats on the great stuff coming out of the Galileo project -- it does
honor to its eponymic. My uncle worked on spacecraft since the fifties, and
I always get a thrill from vicarious space travel via the images and data
coming back from those special little machines...

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far.

1;

- Bruce

__Bruce_Van_Allen___bva@cruzio.com__831_429_1688_V__
__PO_Box_839__Santa_Cruz_CA__95061__831_426_2474_W__