[MacPerl] Re: X on a Mac? SUMMARY

On 1/21/2000, I wrote:

>My apologies for the off-topic post, but despite hunting around on the WWW, I
>haven't found an answer, and was hoping some of you mac/unix gurus would know.
>
>I recently discovered X-Win32, which lets a PC user connect to a remote unix
>server and run programs on it in a GUI, which is far more cool for remote work
>than, say, a telnet interface.
>
>Since I need to do a lot of unix programming this semester, I'm hoping there's
>a similar product for the mac, and would be most grateful for any pointers to
>such a program.
>
>Please reply to me off-list, since this is not strictly Perl-related.

And I got a whole bunch of knowledgeable answers almost immediately! My faith
in MacPerl folks was definitely well-placed. Thanks very much to everyone who
answered; a time crunch prohibits my sending individual responses to you all
(remember that "lot of unix programming" mentioned above? <g>), but I am
grateful.

For those who are interested, I've put together a summary of the
suggestions I received:

* eXodus from white pine software  (http://www.wpine.com) Available from
  MacMall, etc., for about $150.
  An alternative product from White Pine:
  <http://www.wpine.com/Products/WebTerm-X/>.

* MacX from Apple

* MI/X, a freeware cross-platform product
  http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/macindex.htm

* Xoftware.
  http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html

* VNC (free)
  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

* Tenon's XTen at
  <http://www.tenon.com/products/xten/>

* Tenon's MachTen at <http://www.tenon.com/products/machten/>.

* install Linux on a Mac and get the Real Thing, XFree86.
  <http://www.linuxppc.com/>

--
David Dierauer                     dierauer@cse.msu.edu