Re: [MacPerl] Unix daemons in Perl on MacOS?

webmaster@mycoinfo.com (Brian McNett) wrote:

>> while not a MacPerl only solution, how about a stay open applescript that
>> calls a MacPerl script?  The example is a script that sleeps for 5 seconds,
>> then does something.  A stay open applescript can call a perl script every
>> 5 seconds.  For user feedback, Mac::PerlAnswer is ok, but there is no built
>> in timeout for the dialog.  As of OS9, the applescript display dialog has
>> an option "giving up after" x seconds, which can be called using Mac::Glue.
>> Just a thought.
>
>Hmm.  Some good ideas, but I'm not to keen on the applescript angle.  I
>hadn't considered the lack of a timeout for the dialog, although one
>might be able to use Mac::Dialogs to create a dialog that times out on
>its own...

But that's not necessarily part of the requirement, is it?  Couldn't you just
flash the menubar or something, i.e. something that's relatively common on the
Mac?

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum