Re: [MacPerl] Unix daemons in Perl on MacOS?

> I apologize for being late jumping into this discussion - but isn't the
> definition of a 'daemon' a server waiting around listening to sockets?

-T unsupported on #! in MacPerl!  Your sample code will not run on a Mac.

in direct answer to your question, no, a 'daemon' (in Unix) has nothing
(per se) to do with servers or sockets.  A daemon process is written such
that it does it's own thing without user-intervention.  Basically this is
code that does something useful, but mundane and repeatitive, doesn't
need to interact with the real world, and must continue to run in the
background at all times to justify its utility.

Things like faceless servers are best done using this type of process,
yes, but it's not the be-all or end-all of it either.

Putting this back on topic, it seems that it's not possible to do a
full-blown faceless background app in MacPerl.  However, there are things
one can do to come VERY close.

I'm still munging code on this one.  Hope to have an example eventually.

--B

Brian McNett, Webmaster