Re: [MacPerl] web publishing with perl

At 14.37 -0800 2000.02.25, Brian McNett wrote:
>>Mason and Slashdot are the only Perl based content management systems that
>>I know of.  Slashdot is a discussion website, you can download the source
>>for use in other sites.
>>
>> http://www.masonhq.com
>>http://www.slashdot.org
>
>Throw http://slashcode.com/ on that list as the source for the source for
>SLASH (the slashdot code).  Slashdot and Mason give you something on the
>order the same functionaltiy as Zope (written in Python).  Slash requires
>MySQL for the database part. (Frontier does databse stuff internally
>IIRC).
>
>SLASH doesn't run on the Mac, and I don't expect that it could be easily
>made to.  We'd need a completely different "Slashdot-Like Application for
>Macintosh" (call it "SLAM"), for folks running MacOS servers.  I'm
>waiting for a threaded MacPerl first.

My full-time job is working on Slash.  And yes, it cannot run on Mac OS
currently.  But we have plans to abstract out the mod_perl, database, etc.
code eventually (sometime after version 1.0.0), which would make running it
on MacPerl feasible.  There is not a lot of platform-specific Perl in
there, aside from reliance mod_perl and mySQL (well, and some new stuff we
are adding that uses IPC::Shareable, but it can be turned off).

But even if we did not port it to be usable on MacPerl, it is conceivable
to make it run on MacPerl yourself.  The big problem is not with MacPerl,
but with the overhead associated with CGI.  You call index.pl or something
and it has to do a lot of work calling the database for every user that
hits it.  With mod_perl and the like, you can cache a lot of that
information in memory, and have persistent DBI connections, which is ...
better.  :)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])