Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and Hosts

At 10:48 AM -0500 02/16/00, webslave wrote:
>I do most of my perl cgi stuff on a Mac and upload to unix (FreeBSD, Linux...)
>servers... that works pretty well for me ;)
>
>As far as a Mac OS server running perl scripts, what about MachTen?
>Does that count?

It does to me, not that that means much. I started hosting my own
site on MachTen about 18 months ago. About 6 months ago I added
another computer for development and bought WebTen. The server now
runs WebTen, but the development system, an iMac DV SE, runs MachTen.
Both were very suitable for the purpose, but WebTen is easier to set
up and offers better web performance. MachTen is saddled with trying
to be a full UNIX, which it does very good at, but WebTen is
optimized for web service.

I typically develop perl running MacPerl unless there is something I
need from the UNIX side of things. If that's the case, MachTen covers
it quite well.

Mike Schienle                                 Interactive Visuals, Inc.
mgs@ivsoftware.com                  Remote Sensing and Image Processing
http://www.ivsoftware.com/         Analysis and Application Development