Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and Hosts

>I'm sure I wasn't very clear with my long-winded
>ramblings. What I meant was what hosting companies (if
>any) allow users (web designers) to employ Perl
>scripts. My dial-up company (who also provides hosting
>service), for example, uses Mac servers to host sites,
>but doesn't allow its customers to use Perl scripts.
>
>My question, then, is whether any of you more
>experienced users have a particular favorite hosting
>company (or even a list of favorite hosting companies
>who (1) uses Macs to serve pages and (2) allows
>customers to use Perl scripts that they write.

Well, at the risk of being a traitor, I'm going to suggest that the
MacOS is a workstation OS, not a server OS.  If it were me, I would
pick an ISP (hosting company) who uses Unix and allows you to install
perl CGIs, develop my CGIs using MacPerl on a Mac, and then upload
them to the Unix server.  In general, a MacPerl CGI will run without
changes on a Unix server.

And as to a specific ISP, sorry, I have only worked with one and do
all my own hosting (via a nailed up ISDN connection) so have no
experience.  I would suggest in investing in a copy of WIRED magazine
and look at the ads in the back; there are many and most of them
describe what they offer pretty clearly.  I prefer to use a small,
local guy I know personally, but there are advantages to a big
national company as well.

You can also look at:

http://thelist.internet.com/

-David-