Re: [MacPerl] deleting a line again

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, george rosenberg wrote:

> let me explain further, what I am probably trying to ask:
> almost always, the line i want to remove is the first line in the
> file and it begins with a ">".
> i want to remove this line and then close the file.
>
> is it possible to do this? is there a delete line command, that will
> remove the line and not leave a empty line behind?

  Matthias did answer your question.  Computers don't think in terms of
"lines" in a filesystem.  Therefore you have to do the work yourself.
What you are asking for is not possible.

  An explaination is available in the Perl FAQ in the Files & Formats
section.  The FAQ is "How do I change one line in a file/delete a line in
a file/insert a line in the middle of a file/append to the beginning of a
file?" and the answer is at
<http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/manual/html/pod/perlfaq5.html#How_do_I_change_one_line_in_a_fi>.

Andy

Andy Berkvam          | "This is not a black and white world.
                      |  You can't afford to believe in your side."
Email:                |                        - The Beauty of Gray by Live
 aberkvam@coredcs.com |
 aberkvam@voyager.net |-WWW Pages: <http://www.coredcs.com/~aberkvam/>